17. mai medalje fra Stoughton, Wisconsin

Forum for medaljesamlere.
SaccoMan

17. mai medalje fra Stoughton, Wisconsin

Post by SaccoMan »

Har forsøkt å google litt.

Man feirer åpenbart 17. mai hvert år i Stoughton, Wisconsin.

Er det noen som har kjennskap til denne medaljen?
Syttende mai Advers-horz.jpg
Syttende mai Advers-horz.jpg (388.58 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
SaccoMan

Re: 17. mai medalje fra Stoughton, Wisconsin

Post by SaccoMan »

Sendte en mail til "17. mai komitén" i Stoughton og fikk følgende svar:

Dear Lars,

I am so sorry it has taken me awhile to respond to your email. The coin (as we call it) that you have is the first coin that was created for the Stoughton Syttende Mai Folk Festival. The committee started to make the coins in 1966. So your coin is 45 years old! Each year since 1966 there is a coin made commemorating Syttende Mai. One side of the coin is typically a Norwegian “thing” and the other side a Stoughton “thing”. For example, in 2008 our coin theme was the Olympics. The Norwegian side of the coin had a picture of Bjorn Daehlie skiing (also stated that he is a 12 time Olympic medalist) and the Stoughton side had a picture of 2 Stoughton wrestlers that won Olympic medals in 1976 & 1984. Another year the Norwegian side of the coin was a reindeer and the Stoughton side was a Whitetail deer.

Yes, there are a lot of Norwegian immigrants here in WI. At one time in the late 1800’s, Stoughton had the highest percentage of Norwegians citizens than any other town in America. Many families today are descendants of those immigrants. Our Syttende Mai celebration is one of the largest in America. We celebrate it the weekend closest to May 17th. The weekend is filled with activities, food, parades, etc. We have rosemaling and hardanger exhibits, a bunad fashion show, and our local Sons of Norway Lodge serves many Norwegian foods throughout the weekend. We have a children’s parade and a larger parade and we also select a King & Queen to reign over the weekend. You will also see people wearing their bunads around town.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. I hope some of this information was helpful!

Erica Dial
Visitor Services Coordinator
Stoughton Chamber of Commerce

Artig :)

Return to “Medaljer”